Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Tough Goodbyes

This week consisted of students reviewing for their exams, packing, and saying my goodbyes.

This weekend, my cooperating teacher had Andrea
and I over for dinner. She made delicious masala dosa (because she knows it's my favorite) and fried rice. We hung out with her family and met her youngest daughter, two-year-old Anu, who is a chunk of cuteness. It was so nice to just sit, talk, and truly enjoy everyone's company.


Onam is a South Indian festival celebrating the new year (but it's not actually celebrated at the beginning of the year), and it was so special that I got to celebrate it with my cooperating teacher and her family on Sunday. We dressed up in saris, saw a traditional dance, and ate off of a banana leaf in true Indian fashion-with our hands!! It took a second to get used to, but within a minute, I was a pro! We had rice and various curries, many of which were made with coconut. So good!


My favorite English teacher was sick and could not be at school for 10 days, so Sunu, Andrea, Shruti and I (my Indian squad) went to visit her. Usually when someone is ill, many people will visit their home. She brought us tea and her son played a classical Indian instrument for us. She was so upbeat despite being sick. Then, the squad went out for tacos at Dominoes. Yes, the pizza place. No, they were not Mexican tacos, but the Indian-ized vegetarian version. They were sooo good!


On Tuesday I had to say goodbye to class 3F. Again,
they showered me with cards and gifts. I will miss every face and personality. They said, "Ma'am, why do you have to go back to your country? Just stay!" And the teachers showed me the newspaper ad for job openings at DPS. Though it pains me to leave my students and new teacher friends, there is so much to learn in other countries before settling. I am not done learning, traveling, or seeing new places.


Today, I had to say goodbye to my teachers. It was a holiday, so there were no students; teachers use this as a collaboration day. So I said goodbye to the English staff room four times and did not leave my cooperating teacher's side all day. She was my hardest goodbye. In her card to me was a quote: "Goodbyes are not forever, goodbyes are not the end; they simply mean I'll miss you, 'til we meet again."

The connection with my co-op was so special. She taught me so much, but insisted that we learned from each other. She mentored me at school professionally and also became a close friend, whom I will miss dearly. But I will be back to visit.

I am truly thankful and am celebrating the memories. I have experienced friendships that transcend language and culture. It's possible to deeply love people so different from yourself. We have more in common than we think, yet still so much to talk about and learn from each other. How cool is it to have friends halfway across the world! I told them, "You're only a 15.5 hour flight away!" Maybe it's not that comforting, but whatever.

Today I also said goodbye to my roommate, travel buddy, and partner in crime. We too, have an amazing connection and shared love for teaching internationally and traveling. She is a brave and adventurous spirit, and totally understands me! What a blessing to have had her by my side throughout this journey.

I feel like I am leaving home to go to my other home. A piece of my heart is in India, and I have grown; I will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment